Preventive and corrective maintenance of PCs for micro and small businesses is essential for economic and operational reasons.
Economically, this type of care helps maintain a helpful life in each machine, while daily work operations can take place on fast, clean, safe, and up-to-date equipment.
To better understand how preventive computer maintenance can be carried out, continue reading the article.
Why Carry Out Preventive And Corrective Maintenance On Small Business Computers?
Among the main advantages of preventive computer maintenance for micro businesses, we can highlight the following:
- Computers that work faster and with less risk of crashing;
- There is less chance of viruses or other types of cyber attacks damaging operations;
- Makes the work environment cleaner and more motivating for employees;
- It generates savings because preventive and corrective maintenance makes computers last longer.
Seven Preventive Computer Maintenance Practices For Small Businesses
The work team itself can carry out some preventative care, but some other precautions must be carried out by technicians who specialize in computer cleaning and repairs.
Read below some precautions that must be taken to keep the preventive and corrective maintenance of computers up to date:
Many people think that preventive computer maintenance should only be performed by technicians. In part, this idea is accurate, but company employees can also help with some prevention practices:
- Do not eat or drink on equipment; food crumbs are harmful to the computer’s operation;
- Never use large PCs on the floor to avoid the risk of damaging the machine;
- Never use the notebook on soft surfaces or fabrics, as this interferes with the ventilation that the equipment needs to function without overheating the parts;
- Warn the team to be careful before opening suspicious documents and inform them about the importance of carrying out an antivirus or spyware check on the file to be downloaded from the internet; after all, a simple click on the email can make the computer vulnerable to viruses ;
- Only install software and programs essential for office work;
- Train the cleaning team to clean the outside of the computer correctly;
- The use of liquids must only be done to clean the external side of the machines – after checking if it is allowed according to the information in the equipment manual or directly with the computer manufacturers;
- Remember to turn off the machine before cleaning.
- Checking external ventilation
The lack of adequate external ventilation is one of the main drivers of computer problems. Therefore, when investing in preventive maintenance of computers, try to install the equipment in spacious, ventilated places and never leave the computers under the sun, inside cabinets, or in other very closed environments.
Preventive And Corrective Maintenance Of Computers: Internal Fan
Computers have a type of fan to provide internal ventilation that prevents excessive heating of parts and wires.
The fan is one of the most complex working parts of the machine and constantly picks up dust. Computers do not work correctly when it has excessive dirt, and several critical internal parts are affected.
Simply wiping the computer’s internal parts with a cloth is impossible. This job for specialized professionals should be done at least once a year.
During cleaning, technical professionals also check the position of wires or cables and reposition everything, if necessary, to improve the performance of the computer’s internal parts.
Cleaning The Coolers And Changing The Thermal Paste
Coolers are essential internal components for making equipment parts work without overheating and must be part of preventive and corrective maintenance.
If the cooler is not included in preventive computer maintenance, the machine may shut down or even burn out. The technical service needs to carry out complete maintenance on the coolers, including careful cleaning and lubrication with powdered graphite.
For them to work perfectly, they need the help of thermal paste on the processor; cleaning the cooler is only helpful if this paste is also replaced.
Updating Drivers And Hardware Devices
The performance of software and device drivers improves with each update released. The computer manufacturer’s website offers options to update device drivers; sometimes, the computer system asks you to restart the machine to perform this update.
Programs can be updated via the internet, either on the developers’ page or via alerts, which appear on the desktop to notify when it is necessary to update a specific application.
During preventive and corrective maintenance of the computer, it is also worth deleting the temporary files stored on the machine. These work to help open or close specific programs faster, but over time, they become obsolete, taking up a lot of space on the HD and slowing down the equipment. To carry out this cleaning in Windows, access the options in the following order:
- Home menu;
- Delete temporary files.
- Virus or spyware scan
Whether via email, pen drive, or the internet, many small offices have computers that receive files from different sources, which creates a chance for machines to contract viruses.
Contracting viruses can happen in countless ways, so performing preventive and corrective maintenance on computers in smaller companies is essential.
The easiest way to inspect files is to use a reliable antivirus to scan the computer system, either in a scheduled scan or in-the-moment scans, after opening some specific antivirus programs.
Nowadays, it is also essential to pay attention to spyware, which can infect a computer with a straightforward email opening. To defend yourself from this danger, use Spybot or another anti-spyware solution capable of identifying and removing threats of this type.